Us News

Trump administration cancels more than a dozen international student visas from Stanford University in the University of California

The Trump administration has canceled more than a dozen international student visas on its California campus, including UCLA, UC San Diego and Stanford, where university leaders, campus students and faculty confirmed the time.

At UCLA, at least eight international students were removed, according to faculty and staff groups and students. It is not clear whether any student has been detained by immigration authorities or why visas have been cancelled. A UCLA spokesperson did not immediately confirm the phone number or respond to requests for further comments.

At San Diego, Prime Minister Pradeep Khosla said in campus news late Friday that five students were revoked. He said the university had received notifications “without warning.” The sixth student was “detained at the border, denied entry and deported to the homeland,” Kosla said.

“The federal government has not explained the reasons behind these terminations,” Hosra wrote. “The students have been notified and we work directly with them to provide support.”

At Stanford, officials said four students and two recently graduated visas were revoked. The university statement did not determine the reasons for the loss of a visa or whether the student faced arrest.

A statement from the University of California implied that students on other campuses also revoked their visas, but did not provide further details.

The statement said the UC “recognizes that several of our campuses have been affected by the recent termination of Severus,” referring to the U.S. government’s database of student and exchange visitors information systems. “It is a smooth situation and we continue to monitor and evaluate its impact on the UC community and the affected people. We are committed to doing our best to support all members of our community as they exercise their rights under the law. In doing so, the University will continue to comply with all applicable state and federal laws.”

A spokesperson for the Office of the President, who works with all campuses and handles federal government relations, did not immediately respond to a request for more detailed information.

The actions are part of the mass visa cancellations that appear to be unfolding on campuses across the country on Friday and were surprised. Other campuses that announced visa revocation include the University of Kentucky, the University of Oregon and Ohio State. The Trump administration’s actions to cancel student visas and arrest students last month aimed at pro-Palestinian activists, but the reasons for these changes are unclear.

UCLA student government leaders acknowledged campus concerns about immigration status in a joint statement issued late Friday.

“We understand these are deep uncertain times… For every international student to read the following: You belong here. Your presence at UCLA makes this campus stronger, richer, and more beautiful. Our office will continue to stand for you, speak and advocate for you – loud and not defend,” said the statement from undergraduate Assn. Council President Adam Tfayli and international student representative Syed Tamim Ahmad.

Student representatives at the University of Palestinian at San Diego said the organization is trying to obtain more information about the affected persons to determine if there are any student protesters.

Last month, the Trump administration began revoking student visas on high-profile campuses, including Columbia, Cornell, George Washington, Tufts and other universities, claiming that the affected students are anti-Semitism and are aligned with terrorists due to their pro-Palestinian writings or protests.

The government accuses students of supporting Hamas, which the United States designated as a terrorist organization, and says it is a threat to national security and U.S. foreign policy. The students believe that their right to freedom of speech in support of Palestinians has been trampled on.

These cases, some of which resulted in immigration arrests, are fighting in federal courts. Several students were held in immigration detention centers.

The government has also begun canceling visas for students who do not participate in the pro-Palestinian protests but record other violations. For example, immigration and customs law enforcement officers said this week that a University of Minnesota student’s visa was revoked due to a 2023 drunk driving incident, and he pleaded guilty.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said in a speech on March 27 when visiting Guyana that the United States had revoked 300 visas at the time and would continue to conduct assessments.

“We do this every day. Whenever I find one of these lunatics, I take their visas,” Rubio refers to student protesters. “I hope at some point we run out because we’ve gotten rid of all of this, but we’re looking for these lunatics every day, these lunatics are tearing things up.”

Rubio said the government canceled “mainly student visas” and “some visitor visas”. The group includes cases related to “potential criminal activities” that are “not related to any protests”.

On many campuses in the United States, including at San Diego and Stanford, the Trump administration has not communicated to universities. Instead, a cancellation was found when university officials checked the student database SEVIS under the Department of Homeland Security, listing international student status.

International students usually have two certifications that allow them to come to study in the United States. Student visas allow individuals to enter the United States, while “student status” confirms that a person is attending the classroom and complying with other restrictions, such as restrictions on employment. Visa is granted and revoked by the State Council. Sevis maintains student status.

Under previous governments, students who canceled their entry visas were usually allowed to stay legally in the United States to study. If they leave the United States and want to return, they will have to renew their visas. The current action of the Trump administration appears to be changing visas and student status.

Internationally populous schools usually have campus centers dedicated to helping students and professors with visas, housing and other areas, including maintaining Sevis.

This week, The Times contacted SEVIS administrators on all UC campuses, the University of Southern California, Stanford and other internationally populous schools or other large pro-Palestinian protests to ask student visa questions. Officials did not respond to requests, refusing to speak or turn the New York Times to a university spokesperson.

“At present, we are continuing to evaluate the ongoing developments,” UC David spokesman Bill Kisliuk said Wednesday.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button